High-temperature short-time (HTST) pasteurization, or flash pasteurization, is commonly utilized in food and beverage industries. Products are heated and held at a specific temperature and time, followed by quick cooling to ensure complete destruction of contained pathogenic microorganisms. Compared to batch pasteurization, HTST system offers advantages of lower utility costs and higher continuous throughput. Use of regenerative heating and cooling in heat exchangers can further increase operational efficiency.
Plate / Tubular HTST Pasteurizers
The product arrives to a balance tank and is pumped to a plate heat exchanger. It is heated to a pasteurizing temperature that depends on the type of food product and/or process requirements. Next, the product passes through the holding tube that ensures the correct pasteurization by holding the product at the required temperature for the specified period of time.
If the heat exchanger has a regeneration stage, the treated product is used to preheat the feed material, losing heat in the process, this, reducing the energy required to reach the pasteurizing temperature and in reducing the cooling required. Finally, the product is cooled to 4°C for cold filling or storage in isothermal tanks.
If, due to any problem, the pasteurizing temperature is lower than the required one, an automatically operated flow divert valve sends the product back to the balance tank, thus, preventing any microbial contamination of the final product.
- Basic systems typically include raw / supply balance tanks, feed pumps, plate & frame heat exchangers and holding tubes.
- Expanded systems can also be supplied with homogenizers, booster pumps, product storage tanks, regenerative heat exchangers, and adjustable-length holding tubes for variable processing rates.
- Tubular heat exchanger to run pulpy products containing fibers and particles.
- HTST pasteurizers can be semi-automatic or fully automated by electric-control panel with PLC.
- Temperature recording and additional instrumentation are also available upon request.
The HTST pasteurizers with capacity from 500 to 20,000 l/h, are designed for continuous processing and pasteurization of dairy, beverage, fruit juice and other liquid food products.
- Related Products
Hot Water Set
Hot water sets (HWS) are used across multiple industries to provide controlled water temperature to various process requirements like ingredient hot water, tank jacket heating and cleaning / sanitization. We have experience designing HWS that use various types of heating equipment, such as direct steam injection, brazed plate heat exchangers and shell-and-tube heat exchangers.